Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Do we expect really need high standard from customer service?


How much do you ask for in customer service? When a waitress in a Chinese restaurant start to give you a listless expression, ignoring some of your special requests, what would you do? If they serve you with something that you did not order, what would you do?

I think Singaporeans (including myself) can sometimes be a bit kingly, or even overwhelming kingly when they patronise shops and restaurants. Some of these kingly expectations can be translated to homes, where occasionally I see how my tuition kid's mum shout, rant and scold the maid, accusing them of lying, accusing them of incompetency. Sei once told me how his co-worker often treat the maid as a person out of the family, when the maid was not being introduced in a party session. I mean, some of you out there may think "Huh, introduce the maid for what?" Well, to some extent, I admittedly believe that there is no need, but Sei had argued that the maid should be fully integrated into the family, and should be introduced just like a husband or a child would be introduced.

Back to the customer service issue, I believe if a customer service is not up to my personal standard, I would not patronize it again. However, I do not see any need to make life miserable out of the servicing staff in shops, restaurants or front desk staff. Yes i do agree, we pay for the 1o% customer service, but what is done is done. If it's lousy, what can you do? Just don't go there again lar.

I sometimes give an expression of discontentment when a servicing staff gave me a long face to my request. Sei always remind me "hey it's ok, don't worry, we won't come back again".

My appeal to all reading this article is that, next time somebody serve you, be it the cleaning auntie in hawker centre or some Macdonald uncle who wipe the table for you, say a "thank you". It won't make your mouth rot by appreciating their service :) We are not kings.

No comments:

Post a Comment