Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The whole job searching experience

I am not perfect. In a Japanese proverb, it says that even monkeys can fall from a tree (Saru mo ki kara ochiru) Sometimes when it comes to job searching, all of a sudden you start to be hypocritical, convincing yourself that healthcare industry is really what I want :)

May be it will still take some time for me to sink in the fact now that i am former staff of a hospital. And of course, I am so looking forward to the opening of the Kent Ridge circle mrt line. I am now a Corporate Planning and Development Executive. Something I should be proud of? Perhaps. Thank God that after weeks of plunging into my job searching, He gave me this door to a new opportunity.

I remember the uncertainties i have while sending over 50 resumes with little responses coming back. I remember applying just randomly applying Corporate Planning Executive, oblivion to the fact that the hiring company was the hospital. I also remember the efficient and friendly experience i have with the Job agent from MTC and HR. To Peng Chen, I respect your professionalism and speed. You deserve to be in ISE department haha.

I have my first and second round of interview from that hospital on the same day. Pretty weird i would say, but i appreciate the honour to choose me for the second round. I was given an essay to write after the 1st round. "Discuss the applications of Industrial and System Engineering to the healthcare industry". I have no problem writing this essay at all because healthcare is pretty much close to the heart of ISE. Many ask me of why i am an engineer and I am in the executive position. Let me formally blog this down.

Industrial and Systems Engineering deal with system optimization, project management and supply chain modeling. These are the terms that i am specializing in. I see myself developing a career in Supply Chain and Logistic. When that dream of mine become pretty difficult to realise, I knew that pragmatically I need to start looking for alternative route. In the healthcare industry, we deal with patient service in the form of patient waiting time, we look into the operations of the hospitals and see how we can improve some of the operations, using either new machines, or proper scheduling of manpower or operation rooms. I always complain about ISE and how difficult it can be. But that doesnt mean that i do not appreciate some of the usefulness of what i am studying in this real world.

So..engineers can easily cross over to the management side. But not the vice-versa. That is something I am always proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment